The first recognized overseas unit in a country controlled by the United Kingdom was chartered in Gibraltar with the establishment of the 1st Gibraltar Patrol on 27 March 1908.
This first Patrol grew into a Boy Scout Troop made up of four such Patrols. The Troop duly registered itself as the 1st Troop and was fortunate to later obtain the patronage of the then Prince Louis of Battenberg, who subsequently changed his title to that of the Marquis of Milford Haven and whose Coat of Arms is still worn on the scarves of the Troop today.
A 2nd Troop was founded in Gibraltar in August 1910, and 1910 also saw the appointment of Major O H Pedley OBE JP as the first Boy Scout Commissioner until his passing away in 1937. In addition to having a Commissioner, the Governor has held the position of Chief Scout of Gibraltar continuously since 1910.